DiOxygen - DOxygenx2

DiOxygen - DOxygenx2

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:17 pm

For those of you who have been in a bind and given the fantastically beautiful task of having to fix someone else?s code, you probably were relieved to find something as useful as DOxygen. It slices, dices and even builds an HTML documentation tree that you can search and link to, chock full of links and all kinds of other shit. It?s by far the most useful thing that is free to use that I have found for building anything comparable, in fact, I can?t think of anything that does anything like it.

That may be the reason that we have to put up with its inadequacies. If you are trying to build the lookup tables for a small project, say 50 files, DOxygen takes about five minutes. If you are trying to get a medium project, around 200 files, DOxygen jumps up to about 20 to 30 minutes. The issues begin to rise when you hit large projects, like UT or HL2 coding. Any project with more than 500 files with multiple plains of inheritance is going to make the time go exponential. The record I have so far is a 19 hour run through HL2?s source code. It was by far the most trying of times because the DOxygen system has a couple things missing that would be good features:
  • Pause
  • Stop
  • Progress Reporting
  • The ability to resume
These seem to me to be important features to add to something building documentation for source code, and become extremely important when you start using it on larger projects.

Building the code on HL2 was not simple, and actually was not a single pass event. It actually took me more than a week to get done right, testing their options and then rebuilding over and over, it was seriously one of the most irritating things I had to deal with, and I don?t want to have to do it again.

I propose that we branch DOxygen and build one that works better for larger projects.
Bob
Site Admin

Postby Bob » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:20 pm

I dont know if you guys have used context, but it is a text editor that has alot of functionality for development. One of the really great features they have is the ability to drop a new coloring profile into a directory, and i would like to employ the same idea for this, but take it a bit further. Dropping a file into a directory that would list keywords, and other things to look out for in regards to different languages and possibly a template file so you could personalize the dioxy output. css too!
Bob
Site Admin

Postby Bob » Sun May 06, 2007 8:38 pm

I am going to begin working on a demo of this app, probably have something working in a week or two. Ill let you know how it works out.
Bob
Site Admin

Return to Project Updates