eClipse ? the other alternative

eClipse ? the other alternative

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:17 pm

Using a IDE is often the equivalent of trying to swim while being tied to a car by your hair, sure you can do it, but don?t you want to have hair afterwards? Well I have had mixed results in my search for the all around great pluggable IDE, from Dreamweaver, to phpdesigner 200x to whatever other damned ide there is out there, and I have come to the conclusion that they all suck.

During the beginning of this year I was coding a lot of PHP and classes at that, some stuff that would put my previous projects to shame (inheritance and all that jazz) and I was on the look out for a PHP IDE that would allow me to be able to speed up my development without having to memorize all the functions that I was creating. Happening to fall, as I often do, onto a seemingly great application, Zend Studio was at the same time the worst and greatest moment of my life. The best because they are a PHP development company so they obviously would be trying to ease the development of PHP applications, and worst because its written in JAVA! Fuck. I cant explain how irrational my hatred of java applications is except to show you a list of possible java application outcomes:
  • Crashes
So there you have. Nothing but crashes come from java. So holy crap. Wtf is that crap anyways?

[thirty minute cool down break]

Well I have cooled down now from the recollection of memories associated with that poor excuse of an application. The ZS app was developed (probably) as an extension of another FANTASTIC JAVA fucking app called eclipse, which is an all around great IDE, except for the lack of support when it crashes and the enormous numbers of people telling me that I just don?t know how to use it, which is irritating in its own right. Not to mention that PHP is a web development language, so it would make A LOT of sense to have Eclipse have something like FTP Support, which it ?has.? It may have a plugin for it, but that doesn?t mean it works or that its intuitive.

So this project would be all about developing a C/C++ driven IDE damn near identical to its java brother, the main thing I would like to remove from it would be the crashing, because that?s a great way to get your day ruined.
Bob
Site Admin

Postby steven_m64 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:39 pm

im partial to using NotePad++

visual studio 2005 ranks in at a close second for me. :P
steven_m64
Retarded Coder

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:41 pm

Yes, but even msvs doesnt have the abilities that eclipse does., no FTP support or extensibility

=(
Bob
Site Admin

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:29 am

This has again been brought to the forefront of my mind as I am currently having every bean in my soul get more and more irritated at the interaction that I am forced to endure as a part of the eclipse package. I really cannot believe that no one has taken the time to make the equivalent to eclipse that is written in C, and possibly cross platform. I know it’s not an easy process or anything, but it surely isn’t impossible.
Bob
Site Admin

Re: eClipse ? the other alternative

Postby franklyn » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:24 pm

I'm not sure if you've already evaluated it , but slickedit seems to be one of the better IDEs out there. I used it extensively for a school project that involved writing a game in java , the program consisted of multiple classes that handled ingame objects and the IDE seemed to pull in all my methods and symbols efficiently. It has all the basic features you would expect from an IDE such as intelisense, syntax highlighting,symbol explorer, tabbed view, workspaces etc.
heres their main page: http://www.slickedit.com/
and heres a link to their feature demos: http://www.slickedit.com/content/view/353/217
edit: i know i was refering to java but it handles all (most..) c derivative languages.
franklyn
New Blood

Re: eClipse ? the other alternative

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:34 pm

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/edit/scintillawnd.aspx

A good syntax highlighting plugin to look into.
Bob
Site Admin

Return to Project Updates