The Five Points of Lagrange

The Five Points of Lagrange

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:48 am

I have finally decided on the game I want to make.

Expanding on the idea I posted earlier on developing your own solar system, I would like to develop a game that allows me automate a colony living in said solar system. Now, in order to make things more fun, I would like to use Squirrel, Ruby, Python or LUA to allow me to extend the basic scripts that are in game already.

The plan is this. I want to make a game and use one of these scripting languages to control interaction with the world, allowing me to generate the AI that would control the means of resource collection, research, transportation and so forth around my world. This is going to be my first step in AI development and although it sounds pretty heavy it really has peaked an interest of mine, by throwing two of my ideas together. Please post your thoughts.
Last edited by Bob on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: stickiness!
Bob
Site Admin

Re: The Five Points of Lagrange

Postby constchar* » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:59 pm

Intresting idea!
Reminds me of an old Sierra Online game from 94' or so called Outpost.

My only question is what role will the user (or player?) have in this game and being expanded on
your Solar System idea will the user be able to design the Solar System before commencing the AI to have its way with it?

Also would there only be one AI player or could more then one AI occupy the system?

Jimmy
constchar*
New Blood

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:08 pm

The possibilities are pretty well endless.

I envisioned having the ability to compete with AI. Better planned out AI would obviously take a step over less planned, and it would obviously lead to some really interesting situations. Ive been pushing for the most open possible game, sandbox wise, but i want to give some merit to those learning. Picture starting the game on a globe encased in a sphere of impenetrable material, allowing them to learn, shields up, and developing methods of working in the world. More advanced and educated users would be able to get into the details and out of the solar system to start battling over their universe and its contents with friends, foes (AI) or the elements.

I would of course want to capitalize on being able to engineer my own galaxy. The same laws that we respect here in reality would be necessary, although possibly in a more artistic or game centric situation. I want to be able to take the idea i posted earlier, and dumb it down a bit to allow my own solar system circumstances to go on. A semi randomized environment will cause the AI to be developed in less linear lines, and thus cause the learning to be done on more expansive terrain. close to the sun(s) == hot = less materials and smaller planet etc, while farther our means colder and more materials, and so forth.
Bob
Site Admin

Postby constchar* » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:19 pm

That gives me an idea.
The largest planets in the galaxy are in fact gas giants with no solid surface, except maybe for a molten core, and they have the strongest and biggest
gravitational fields.
Perhaps you could have gas giant planets that require more advanced technologies for some type of resource extraction
or air-based colonization.

I thought it might be worth mentioning.
constchar*
New Blood

Return to Project Updates