Linux

Greetings, Bug reports and Commentary - all are welcome

Linux

Postby madgernader » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:14 am

Anyone here use it? if so what distribution?

I ask this because i recently install Ubuntu 7.04 http://www.ubuntu.com on my system as a dual boot and got it to the internet and I'm actually enjoying it so far. its a lot faster then XP, and its all open source/ General Public license or whatever its called. So you can download the source and compile your own version and pretty much make your own operating system if you wanted/ know how.

Figured this would be an interesting topic to post since this forum is largely populated by people that know code, and I know they like open source stuff. :P
madgernader
New Blood

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:35 pm

I am actually quite appreciative of the linux offerings. I have installed most every flavor that is well known (Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat) and settled on Debian for my local server that i use for versioning & linux/web development. I have seen many people delve into mixing up their own flavor of linux although i dont think any of them stick with it very long. Ive been pushing myself to getinto system programming, so it might be another project to add to the listing.
Bob
Site Admin

Postby steven_m64 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:36 pm

yeah linux rocks.

i mostly use gentoo and sometimes i use straight unix such as FreeBSD sometimes.

i like gentoo because you can optimize it specificly for your computer and hardware setup witch can really make the OS and programs that are running to fly, but most newbies would call it a hardcore linux for nerds.
but it can be great if you follow the directions and tutorials since it teaches you Everything about the system.
also gentoo's 'emerge' rocks balls.
steven_m64
Retarded Coder

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:44 pm

The only thing i would say about gentoo is that its definitely not for the faint of heart. If you are not interested in becoming a hardcore nerd it probably wont be much fun for you because it was the hardest to install of the flavors i used.
Bob
Site Admin

Postby steven_m64 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:31 pm

yeah that is true mostly but if you want to learn everything you can about linux and the workings of it then its the way to go.

i really started looking into ubuntu recently as all i have done before was just install it for people, but at times i think its just too easy to use. :P
steven_m64
Retarded Coder

Return to General Discussion